Granado was founded in 1870 by Portuguese José Antonio Coxito Granado. The company’s first establishment was on Rua de Direita, one of the busiest streets of bustling downtown of Rio de Janeiro. Although the street has since been renamed 'Primeiro de Março', the original Granado store remains open in its original location and has benefited from a recent refurbishment to restore the edifice to its 19th Century pomp.
The company began by creating remedies from plants, herbs and flowers native to Teresópolis, a mountainous region of Rio de Janeiro, inland from the famous port city and home to José Granado. In addition to its medicinal products, Granado was also renowned for importing products from Europe and adapting their formulas to the standards and needs of Brazilians.
The quality and effectiveness of their products soon made Granado one of the official pharmaceutical suppliers to the Brazilian Royal Court. Through this connection to the Royal Court and the Imperial Family, Granado formed a relationship with Brazilian Emperor Dom Pedro II and, in 1880, he granted it the title of Official Pharmacy to the Brazilian Royal Family.
In 1903, João Bernardo Granado, brother of José, created a unique antiseptic talcum powder, which would go on to become the company’s oldest and most treasured product. Its formula, approved by famous physician and bacteriologist Oswaldo Cruz, remains unchanged.
In 1912, the pharmacy expanded to a building across the street from the Senate, which is still one of Granado’s factories. A few years later, the company acquired a factory in Belém do Pará to produce its popular bars of soap. The second Granado store opened in 1917 at 300 Conde de Bonfim, in Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro.
Besides creating the formulae for medicines and remidies, José Antonio Coxito Granado also ventured into publications. During the years 1887 to 1940, he edited the annual publication 'Pharol da Medicina', in which he informed doctors, pharmacists and the public about the new products from his pharmacy. In 2007, the booklet was relaunched.
By the mid 1990s, half of the company's earnings came from it's original drugstore and it's branch in Tijuca, mostly from the original antiseptic talcum powder recipe and glycerine soaps.
After three generations in the hands of the Granado family, Englishman Christopher Freeman now chairs the company. In 2004, Phebo (coming soon to REUNIDAS), the traditional Brazilian perfumery famous for its 'Odor de Rosas' fragrance and introducing lavender to Brazil in 1932, was incorporated into the company. Throughout these years, the tradition of quality products with plant origins and proven effectiveness remained.
A selection of Granado's men's grooming products are now available at the REUNIDAS store :