Oscar Niemeyer in São Paulo

The renowned architect Oscar Niemeyer (1907-2012) was involved in only 9 works across São Paulo during his illustrious career. Some are better known than others and a few have been, more recently, adapted from the original constructions.  Next time you are in town, keep an eye out for them. 

Edifício Eiffel


A mixed use residential and commercial building of 22 floors divided into 3 blocks to look like a book. The 3 duplex apartments at the top of each were a novelty at the time the building was inaugurated in 1956. 


Edifício Triângulo

A glass commercial building built in 1955 by Niemeyer and his regular local partner Carlos Lemos. The original building included brise-soleils that were eventually removed and includes an impressive Di Cavalcanti mural at its entrance which is, sadly, deteriorating. 


Edifício/Galeria Califórnia

Edificio California

Built in 1955 for retail and residential use next to what used to be the most luxurious shopping destination in the city - Rua Barão de Itapetininga. Features a mural by the great Candido Portinari on the ground floor


Anhembi Sambódromo 

Anhembi Sambodromo

Built in 1991 for the annual carnival celebrations, this was one of the final works of Niemeyer in the city and arguably his least inspiring. 


Edifício Copan

This utopian masterpiece was only completed in 1966 after work started in 1951. Designed to include residential spaces for all social classes and to also feature commercial spaces throughout its famous curved edifice. 


Edifício Montreal 

Edificio Montreal

A residential building of 28 floors inaugurated in 1954 - this was the first of Niemeyer's works to be built in São Paulo. The entrance hall features three large panels of mosaics by Emiliano Di Cavalcanti

Memorial da América Latina

Memorial da America Latina

Opened in 1989 to host large crowds for social and cultural events. Sadly, the main hall was damaged by a fire in 2013 but, nonetheless, the memorial remains one of the biggest tourist attractions in the city.


Edifício Seguradores

This lesser known office development now in disrepair opened in 1958 containing 18 floors and was the last of Niemeyer's projects in downtown São Paulo. 


Parque do Ibirapuera

Opened in 1954 to celebrate the fourth centenary of the city, the famous 'Central Park' of São Paulo was designed in collaboration with agronomist Otávio Agusto de Teixeira Mendes. The park was named 'Ibirapuera' after an indigenous village that once existed in the area and translates as  'rotten tree' from the local Tupi-Guarani dialect. Just before work on Niemeyer's buildings began, the area was a swamp with a favela located on it.